Timeline - Cliffe History

Search
Go to content

Main menu:

History
 
Chronological Notes

 
774, charter by Offa - King of Mercia- giving land to Canterbury

 
774, Saxon charter shows that Cliffe church was founded by King Offa who also choses the dedicatory saint of St. Helen

 
961, Queen Eadgfiu gives land to Christ Church, Canterbury

 
1100, sea walls to built to control the Thames

 
1151, King Stephen founds a nunnery at Lillechurch

 
1275-88, Prioress Amfelisia reprimanded for not keeping the causeway to the crossing up to scratch

 
1247, Royal charter to hold a fair lasting three days – St. Aigidius’s Day

 
1250, marshes begin to be ‘reclaimed’

 
1260, present church built

 
1260, the Saxon church was replaced by one of stone

 
1270, Prioress Acelina in dispute with her nuns – King Henry III had to be called in

 
1290, King Edward directed the maintenance of the sea walls should be shared

 
1301, ship sent to aid King Edward I in Scottish waters

 
1310, the building of the hall at the Old Rectory

 
1326, Cliffe port mentioned again

 
1337, repairs to the nunnery

 
1346, just prior to this date - King Edward III assembled a fleet of 1500+ ships – 2 came from Cliffe

 
1350, modernisation of the church

 
1380, 80 ton vessel stationed at Cliffe

 
1417, two ships were ordered by Henry V against the French

 
1520, the supposed ‘Great Fire of Cliffe’

 
1585, single bell hung at St. Helen’s Church

 
1679, John Browne leaves money so that 12 poor children should be educated

 
1730, roof of nave destroyed

 
1824, cutting of canal

 
1840, Redham Mead is referred to as the great mead and not as marshland

 
1845, railway arrived

 
1845, population of Cliffe down to 877 from a high of c. 3000 in 1520

 
1854, first national school built in Cliffe

 
1862, bells cast for church

 
1864, two more bells added to church

 
1864, wall paintings in Cliffe church uncovered during restoration work

 
1868, cement works opened by West Street

 
1882, railway line and station opened

 
1894, first meeting of Cliffe Parish Council

 
1901, construction of explosive works

 
1901, population over 3000

 
1904, first fire engine for Cliffe village

 
1914, another cement works opened –in Salt Lane

 
1914, first ever dog-fight over Kent was above Cliffe

 
1914, Cliffe first village to be bombed in Kent  - on Christmas Day

 
1930, Jessop locates wharf + quality of Roman pottery

 
1931, electricity powers street lighting

 
1942, crash of a Stirling bomber in Rye Street

1946, De Havilland DH108 Swallow crashes ay Eygpt Bay killing test pilot Geoffrey De Havilland Jnr.

 
1964, Ordnance Survey team find Roman salterns by Cliffe Creek

 
1968, the building of the Cliffe Memorial Hall

 
1969, final part of Prior’s Hall manorial lands sold the Port of London Authority
 
 
© 1993 - 2015 - Cliffe History
Back to content | Back to main menu