(A brief pen-portrait of the
The six windows on the North and South sides of the Chancel were
referred to by the Reverend Lloyd in 1873 when he wrote “If some good Christian would present a new ‘decorated screen to the
Chancel (cost about £85), and some good stained glass to the beautiful ‘decorated”
windows on the North and South sides of the Chancel ….”.
The windows on the North side appear similar in design and colours of glass used, although there is a definite
difference in the tracery of the stone work and some variation in the colour
The Reverend H. R. Lloyd “removed
the common glass and iron stanchions from the six side windows in 1874 and
replaced them with new bars and new glass, of 14th century pattern from Messrs.
Powells Works at Whitefriars in London”. These windows were taken out and
reglazed in 1954 (war damage).
The windows on the south side, whilst uniform in size, vary in content.
The window nearest the Altar contains fragments of coloured glass which have
been assembled to suggest a castle (Cooling?) But this is not so obvious on
close inspection. These fragments came from the ‘find’ made in the ‘Bone-hole’
which the Reverend Lloyd
claimed he made — “I was so fortunate as to find in a neglected corner of the Church, a
heap of old stained glass, some of which, upon examination, had evidently been
removed from the tracery of the Chancel windows”. Later on a Mr. G. H. Payn recorded that the ‘find’ was made by choir
When the roof was lowered in 1732 obviously the side windows in the
Chancel suffered mutilation as well as the great East window. It seems a stroke
of good fortune that some of the ‘debris’ was left inside the building where it
appears to have remained undisturbed for well over a century. The middle window
on the South side also has some coloured glass fragments assembled in the quarterfoil.
The window nearest the screen on the south side is more recent. This is
an attractive 19th century window with the figures and subject quite clear, the
incorporated text being the penultimate verse from the Bible (A.V.). The
wording on the memorial plate reads:—